Crinniú Chinn Bliana R.T.A.I. Lúnasa
D’fhreastail mé féin agus Caroline Ní Cheallaigh ar Chrinniú Chinn Bliana Múinteoirí Scortha na hÉireann i Mí Lúnasa. Labhair Máire Ní Chuinneagáin, Uachtaráin I.N.T.O leis an gcrinniú. Tá an tádh dearg linn to bhfuil R.T.A.I. agus muintir I.N.T.O ag síor obair as lámh a chéile ar son múinteoirí uilig na tire. Ghabh Máire buíochas le R.T.A.I. as ucht an tacaíocht a thug said do Chumann Múinteoirí Éireann i rith an fheachtais a reachtaigh siad tar éis Cháinaiséis an Rialtais 2009.
There are now 7,500 members in the organization. Up to the 31st of August 930 teachers had applied to retire. Many feared that with recent cut backs their gratuity could be taxed in the future. Speakers including Moya Curry representing T.U.I and Seán Geraghty A.S.T.I. who attended the meeting stressed that the principal of parity of pensions and allowances to the salary of serving teachers must always be our core objective in all negotiations. There is now a concerted attack on public service pensions and salaries. The danger pensioners face is that there could possibly be an attempt to review pension contracts in the future. “Parity of Pensions and Allowances” must be our slogan at all times.
During the past year many matters were dealt with by the Executive, officers of N.E.C. and by Denis Desmond’s office. Such matters included meeting with I.N.T.O., Political Lobbing, Nursing Home Schemes, E.U. Regulations, Medical Cards, National Agreements, Benchmarking, Parity, Social Welfare Entitlements, Teaching Council, Substitution/ Resource work by Retired teachers, Government cut backs, New and Increased Levies and of course the abolition of the automatic right to medical cards for those over 70 years. Our hard working secretary Denis hasn’t been idle as you can see.
Motions
The following motions were passed:
1. That the members’ subscription be increased by 25 cent per week (50 cent per fortnightly pension pay by cheque) for a period of one year only and this 25 cent per week (50 cent per fortnightly pension pay cheque) be lodged to the Association’s Contingencies Fund and used only for the purposes of that fund as defined from time to time by the N.E.C.
2. Than the principle of parity of pensions and allowances be fully preserved in all future negotiations.
3. That this Association demands the reintroduction of medical cards for all those who have reached the age of 70 years.
4. That all public buildings, which receive government financial grants, be compelled to install induction loops to benefit those who have hearing difficulty.
5. That all citizens over the age of 55 be entitled to one GP visit each year for a health check.
6. That prostrate screening programmes be established countrywide for all men over the age of 45.
7. That free travel for seniors be extended to surface travel in all EU countries.
The title of the Newsletter has been changed to “Comhnasc”.
The R.T.A.I. web site is www. RTA Ireland.ie
A vote of thanks was passed to our out going President Ita Sweeney and Marjorie Murphy was installed as our new President. John Carr, out going Secretary of I.N.T.O. was thanked for his passionate pursuit of justice for retired teachers. Sheila Nunan, General Secretary Designate I.N.T.O. who attended the AGM was congratulated on her appointment as incoming General Secretary of I.N.T.O.
This concluded the business of the meeting and Denis and is good wife Siobhán hit off for a well-deserved holiday.
Mary Kyne (Runaí)
.