Sewing Scrubs during Lockdown.

 

Scrubs Tunic
In April 2020, during the first Covid 19 lockdown, there was a huge shortage of scrubs for frontline workers. They needed to be protected from the virus and also the patients under their care. A request came through the media  looking for volunteers to sew scrubs for them. After giving it some thought I decided, why not, and I put my name forward and volunteered.

 My sitting room, part of which was already used as an office, would now  become a sewing room. I got my sewing box out, oiled up my sewing machine, loaded my CD player with a few suitable CDs and I was ready to start.

I was supplied with a package for each outfit. It held: an instruction leaflet with a series of diagrams; pre-cut fabric pieces; tape for binding edges; plus a drawstring for the waist of the trousers. Each finished outfit would comprise of a trousers and a tunic.

Scrubs Trousers
As with any volunteering venture, you get as well as you give. When I went into my sewing room: I was engrossed in the project in hand; I was listening to the music while I worked; I felt that I was away from Covid and the virus updates of the media; I was in another world!

Time rolled on: the scrubs got made, they turned out well and were collected; the frontline workers were protected and the first lockdown ended. I was delighted I had helped in some small way to keep people safe and I also realised it was time to update my CD collection!

 

Eileen Treacy, July 2021.